Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fun With a Horse Trailer

Our neighbors next door, the ones with the burned down house that has been sitting like that since before the boys were born and gives off an awful armpit smell, have an old rusted horse trailer sitting next to our garage...perfect photo fodder. It was also almost the perfect lighting outside for taking photos, overcast and just after sunrise, so no harsh shadows...although I do like me some shadows sometimes. I also got up close and personal with our garage door, which has paint peeling like crazy, as I wanted to play some more with depth of field.

After I was finished taking the photos and had thawed my hands out (it was only 30 degrees outside), Carly gave me some helpful hints on subtle (or not so subtle, depending on your preference that day) editing techniques. Here are the results:

Bricks in the alleyway next to our house. Made black & white with gradient map, then adjusted the blacks and whites with a level adjustement layer. Tied with the third photo for my fave.

Garage door, up close and personal.

Chains and a leaf on the horse trailer. Used both a curve adjustment layer and a levels adjustment layer to adjust the colors.


A small chain hanging from the side of the trailer. Not my fave, as the focus isn't exactly where I wanted it, but I still like it.

3 comments:

  1. Looking good! I like the g-door one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, thanks babe. You would prefer that photo, since it's the closest to your style of photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures, all of them! I love playing around with the actions, too... personally, I don't think it takes away from photos... I think it's just the digital darkroom. :)

    ReplyDelete