Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ode To Flickr

I resisted, I really did. I was loyal to Picasa for as long as I could be...until I became more serious about taking photos and posting them so they looked good. Once I started wanting to leave my edited photos at their original size for printing purposes, rather than editing them down to web size, I realized I was going to need a better photo storage site.

So I broke down, turned my back on Picasa (I'm super loyal to Google programs, that was difficult), signed up for Flickr after reading blogs of several other photographers who used that site, uploaded my first photo....

...and fell in love. Oh my stinking heck! Did you know that you can, with the click of a button, choose which size you want your photo to upload as, without it changing your original photo? With Picasa, if you changed your photo size, it's changed it permanently. Or if you click on the "more properties" link, it brings up every single piece of information you could possibly want on your photo? Date and time taken, date uploaded, camera type, focal length, shutter speed, image size, photo dimensions...the list goes on and on. I'm sure there are more great features, but those are the two big ones that have stood out to me since I signed up last night.

Don't get me wrong, Picasa is still a good site. But I've noticed the difference; Picasa is great for those who just want to put together albums to share with family and friends, while Flickr was made with serious photographers in mind as a place to store art. Love it.

2 comments: