Sunday, March 15, 2009

Minimalism

I've discovered through my various art explorations (photography, graphic design, theatre, drawing) that I am a minimalist at heart. Too much going on makes me a little uneasy, a little frantic. So when I was trying to figure out what in the world to create for my photography blog banner and background, I just couldn't be happy with any of the designs I had come up with. They were too...busy. To me, a photography blog or website should be as clean as possible, so as not to take focus away from the important stuff. You know, the photos. The actual things we're there to see. Weird, no?

Anyway, after attempting to be clever on several different banners, I finally realized that what I really wanted was a white background. No pattern, just white. With one simple something to the right side, "Lindy Labunski Photography" in pretty flowing script, and an opaque bar behind the script to anchor it. Oh, and a very thin black border around the white background so you can tell there's a banner there.

Then I remembered the calla lily I had hand drawn years ago in college and then scanned into my computer because I loved it so much. Thank the maker, I was able to find it. Create a circle, fill it with color, slap the calla lily drawing on it, lighten it from black to white, and you have a logo. Mmmm. Ok, it took a lot more than that, a process that included layers, erasers, resizing, tweaking, starting all over, doing it all again, etc. The end result is what you see at the top of this page. Simple, clean, happy. I like it. I think I've settled on that script for my watermark as well, which will make the watermark match my banner. How cohesive of me.

Hope you like it, cause I'm not going to change it if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment