Friday, April 17, 2009

Trip to Portland

In the midst of my 24 hour trip across the state and back for a job interview, I actually managed to grab a few seconds to take photos...I would have had more if I had taken my camera with me from my father in law's to the interview, as I had about 45 minutes to burn, but I forgot it. Bad Lindy! Anyway, here's one of the photos of that bunch.


When I was a little girl, there was a huge landslide in the Columbia Gorge, not far from the outskirts of Portland. A whole house was caught in the mud, and you can still see the top half of it through the trees and raspberry bushes that have grown up from the dirt moved by the slide. Unfortunately, it's on private property and hard to get to. This old truck, on the other hand, is just a few feet from the road (up an embankment that I pretended wasn't there) and was gradually being swallowed by the local vegetation. And I, of course, couldn't resist it's call.



I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.



Just one more, I promise!


Ok, now that you're sick of looking at old, broken down, vine infested trucks, how about a social commentary? If you are a staunch environmentalist who thinks "going green" is worth any price tag, please stop reading.


Did you know that it will take 30 years of whirring blades for each of these bad boys to pay themselves off? As in, it will take 30 years of creating electricity before the THOUSANDS of wind turbines that have been erected along the Columbia Gorge - effectively ruining the beautiful views - to start making a profit. Thirty years before I see any change in my electrical bill due to harnessing the wind. Sweet.

And now that I've made your head spin, how about making your eye twitch? I heartily apologize for this photo. Personally, it makes me want to find a corner somewhere and rock myself. And for some reason that makes me really like it. I don't know. I just don't know.


I wouldn't say this is my favorite batch of photos, but they'll do. I start getting antsy when I haven't posted new photos in more than three days. I'm afflicted, what can I say? It's a tough life I lead.

3 comments:

  1. WOW those shots of the old truck are fantastic! I love how you captured it. I would put those in a gallery and they would sell fairly well I think!

    As for the power it is sad but true. In California they want to install new solar power stations that are like satellites and beam the power down to Fresno, CA. One is suppose to be able to power 7000 homes. It wont even work till 2016 iff they are allowed to do it.

    That picture of the trees reminds me of two things. Marsh lands with bare trees or the blair witch project. It is kind of spooky but really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That last picture of the trees is amazing. It gives the illusion of motion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one of the B&W head light and the trees those are my absolute favorite, but that really isn't saying much because they were all so good!

    ReplyDelete